“Travel and change of place impart new vigor to the mind” – Seneca
Hey there!!! Fed up with the daily work, the hectic and busy life?? You seriously need a break…….or what about a weekend road trip with your best friend?? To a different place than usual Mumbai to Pune grind, playing your favorite list of songs at the top of your lungs on a windy road when no one can hear you….. Fantastic idea..!! right??? Because travel leads you speechless then turns you into a story teller!!! Pune has always been special for providing the panoramic view making your ride the best one!!! Located at foothills of Sahyadri Mountains and also surrounded by hills and green forest, Pune makes it to one of the greenest areas in the country!!!
Presenting Best Weekend Roadtrips from Pune
1. Pune to Mahabaleshwar
Winding roads, a cool breeze at all times, also the vantage points offering breathtaking view of hills and valleys is the correct definition to Mahabaleshwar.
- Mahabaleshwar is located at a distance of 120.6 km from Pune.
- First of all from Pune, it is a pleasant drive on the NH 4 upto Surur. Then take a diversion towards Wai – Panchagani- Mahableshwar. Wai is at 85 kms from Pune. The distance between Wai and Mahabaleshwar is about 35 kms.
- You can travel the distance in just 2 hours 15 minutes.
Food places on Pune-Mahabaleshwar route–
- Hotel Templeview – Vegetarian restaurant at old Mahabaleshwar for excellent parathas Rajasthani favorites. Hotel Woodland is another good option.
- Mapro Garden – Mapro garden restaurant offers a decent menu. Most of the tourist vehicles stop here, on their way to Mahabaleshwar offers pure vegetarian food.
The Grapevine – Probably the best place in Mahabaleshwar that sells good non vegetarian food. The mutton Dhansak and brown rice might be the best dish here but the lamb shanks and the meat burger aren’t far behind.
Things to enjoy in Mahabaleshwar
- Venna Lake – It is one of the most popular tourist attractions in Mahabaleshwar. Venna lake is man made lake and not a natural lake. Tourists can enjoy activities like fishing and boating at the lake, they can even do a little horse riding.
- Waterfalls – There are three waterfalls in Mahabaleshwar i.e Lingmala, Chinaman and Dhobi Waterfalls.
- The Lingmala Waterfall is a fantastic sight to watch. It presents an enrapturing view of cascading water. It disperses from the top of a steep cliff.
- The Chinaman’s Waterfall falls towards the south into the Koyana Valley. It is 2.5 km away from Mahabaleshwar. A tour to Mahabaleshwar is not complete without a visit to the famous and cascading waterfalls. The Chinaman’s waterfall can be reached by going through the Carviali Road. The calm surroundings and the exotic waterfalls render a perfect holiday spot.
- The Dhobi Waterfall is 3 km away from the town area. The fall is on the course which connects Lodwick point to Elphinstone Point. Either side of the falls is filled with rocks. The falls connects Petit Road with Old Mahabaleshwar Road. The falls is a famous picnic spot.
- Panchgani – Panchgani is a picturesque hill station near Mahabaleshwar and is perfect place for adventure lovers. Panchgani provide good opportunities for those who love trekking and hiking on several tracks leading through thinning forests.
2. Pune to Goa
Through the mesmerizing Western Ghats, you can travel to the land of beaches, Goa. This is one of those trips that can prove to you that “it is not about the destination, but about the journey to reach there”. Serene beaches, party places, lovely waterfall, delicious food, Goa has it all. In fact, even wildlife enthusiasts could love this place given to the number of wildlife sanctuaries present here.
- Goa is located at the distance of 444.2 km from Pune.
- You can travel the distance in just 7 hrs and 36 mins.
- There are 2 routes that one can take to reach Goa. For the shorter route, one has to take Lal Bahadur Shastri Road and Narveer Tanaji Malusare Road/Sinhagad Road to NH4 in Kudale Baug. Then, you have to follow NH4 and NH4A in Dharbandora. The other route goes via NH9.
Food places on Pune to Goa route–
- Amigo – Under the Nerul bridge. Straight from a Picture postcard. Quaint, family run, no frills, but what a location! It looks even better in the night. Splendid sea food.
- KU, Morjim – The menu is limited. The food is nice. And the location & ambiance is outstanding. Made in a typical Bali hut style and run by French couple. Better to book your reservations.
- Salt & Pepper, Little Vagator – Run by father and daughters. Small and simple place. Famous for its Burgers.
- Street-Food Stalls – Walking along this beach, one’ll come across several food stalls from which one can try whatever they want to.
Things to enjoy in Goa —
Baga Beach, Goa – Baga is the heart of Goa. It is always full of tourists. A crowded and happening beach in Goa. You also get to have good food in the shacks in the beach.
Saturday Night Flea Markets – This sprawling market is located in Arpora every Saturday evening during the tourist season. One can find everything in this market – right from spices to jewelry, unique creation, international designers, vintage items and much more.
Elephant ride and splash in Goa – There are a number of places in Goa where tourists can visit to see elephants who love to play and splash around in places like the Bondla Wildlife Sanctuary, the Sahakari Spice Farm and the Tropical Spice Farm as well.
Also read Things not to enjoy in GOA
3. Pune to Malshej Ghat
Malshej, blessed with wonderful waterfalls and historic forts ,is one of the most popular weekend getaway. Head here during monsoons, where rains transform the place magically, revealing the picturesque landscapes and the lush greenery.
- Malshej Ghat is 226 km in Pune.
- You can travel the distance in just 7 hrs and 36 mins.
- Best time to leave is early morning to reach there by pre-noon to enjoy the scenic views on the way.
- To go to Malshej ghat from Pune, take NH50 (Pune-Nasik highway), turn left at Narayangaon and pass through Junar.
Food places on Pune to Malshej Ghat route–
VisvashGarden Restaurant – This is one of the budget restaurants in the city that has amazing local Maharashtrian food. You can have a lovely time here enjoying the taste of local dishes.
- MTDC Holiday Flamingo Resort – They have an in-house restaurant offering vegetarian and non-vegetarian dishes.
Things to enjoy in Malshej Ghat–
- Rock Climbing at Ajoba Hill Fort – The Ajoba Hill Fort is a favorite among adventure enthusiasts. It is a trekker’s delight as the trail passes through lush green landscape and the weather is cool and calm. People also come here for rock climbing.
- Enjoy the Cascading Waterfalls – The beauty of Malshej Ghat is enhanced manifold by the many cascading waterfalls that you find as you make your way here. Both big and small, these waterfalls are popular picnic spots for visitors coming to Malshej Ghat on a day trip.
- Hit the Trekking Trails – Whether you are a first-timer or a seasoned trekker, there are trails of all kinds to suit your convenience. Among the most popular trails are Ajoba Hill Fort, Darkoba Peak, Jivdhan Chawand Fort and Nane Ghat.
4. Pune to Shirdi
Shirdi is famous temple of Shri Sai Baba. Shirdi Sai temple is a beautiful shrine that was built over the Samadhi of Shri Sai Baba. There are 12 Jyotirlingas situated in different parts of India. The Three most important of these 12 Jyotirlingas are located in Maharashtra.
- Shirdi is 185 km away from Pune.
- You can travel the distance in just 3 hours 21 minutes.
- Railway Station –> Alandi Road( 31 km)–> Chakan( 50 km) -> Manchar( 80 km)–> Samgamner(45 km)–> Shiridhi. Places like Maladad, Rajangaon Dedsmukh, Ves and Dohale will come in between.
Food Places on Pune – Shirdi route–
- Shravani Restaurant – Best vegetarian restaurant and its new restaurant in Hotel Siddhant. Beautifully done – the decor is really nice The staff is friendly and attentive.
- Nandi – Best option for vegetarians with varieties of menu list. Tasty food ever rising numbers of devotees coming to Shirdi.
- Woodlands Restaurant – This one is a decent option in Shirdi that offers a variety on its menu and dishes that are prepared with the freshest and finest ingredients.
- Rajgurunagar is a place in between, which can be a small stopover for tea and refreshment.
Things to enjoy in Shirdi–
- Sightseeing in Shirdi – Start up the sightseeing tour in Shirdi by visiting Samadhi Mandir .It is the shrine of Sai Baba where his mortal remains were interred. Next to the shrine is the peaceful Masjid where Sai Baba spent most of his life. The sacred fire called dhuni still burns here and its ash is smeared on devotees. You can also visit the Chavadi, which is a small building in Shirdi where Sai Baba used to spend every alternate night.
- Shopping in Shirdi – There are several shops in Shirdi that sell photos and effigies of Sai Baba. This is the main commercial activity. The shops open as early as 7 am and close late, at around 10:30 pm.
- NearBy Places in Shirdi – Shani Shingnapur and Nashik are the two places near Shirdi that are worth visiting on a day trip from here. Shani Shingnapur is a pilgrimage village located some 70 kms away from Shirdi. Apart from the popular Shani Dev Temple, Shani Shingnapur is also renowned for the fact there are no doors in the village only the door frames.
5. Pune to Bhandardara
Bhandardara is a holiday resort village on the western ghat of India that you must visit during rain. It is a hill station nestled in the Sahayadri mountain ranges located on the banks of river Pravara.
- Bhandardara is located at a distance of 162 km from Pune.
- You can travel the distance in just 3 hours 56 minutes.
- This place is famous for its natural beauty and calm and soothing environment.
- Best Route from Pune to Bhandardara : Pune – Nasik Phata – Narayangao – Otur – Bhramanwada – Kotul – Rajur – Bhandardara
Food Places on Pune –Bhandardara route–
- Hotel Vaibhav – It offers a treat of traditional home styled cooked meals which has to be tried at least once.
- Hotel Kaka – It is famous for it’s cleanliness and exclusive Gujrati Thali. They offer both vegetarian and non-vegetarian dishes with a dash of local flavors.
- Panch Sheel – Situated right down the road on MTDC, they have delicious Indian and Chinese cuisines. Try the chicken dishes here to enjoy a good meal as a result you would leave with smile on your face after a pleasant time there.
Things to enjoy in Bhandardara–
- Umbrella Falls, Bhandardara – Umbrella Falls is situated at the old Wilson Dam in Ahmednagar District. The ideal time to visit the waterfalls is during the monsoon season, when the water level in the Pravara River is the highest.
- Mount Kalsubai – It is considered to be the highest mountain peak of the Sahyadri range. Mount Kalsubai is a famous trekking destination which features Kalsubai Temple, Ratangad Fort and Harishchandragad Fort. Also the Kalsubai Temple houses an old well, where the water level never drops below 3 ft.
- Ratangad Trek in Monsoon – You get to enjoy almost everything in this trek. You can enjoy rains, trek, jungle, stream and thrill.
- Lakeside Camping at Bhandardara- Bhandardara is a pristine water reservoir and also a famous weekend getaway near Pune situated near Igatpuri hill station. The shining blue green water of Bhandardara and the surrounding lush green mountains is a great treat to eyes.
6. Pune to Lonavala and Lonavala to Khandala
Lonavla is a popular town and a hill station in the Pune district of Maharashtra. Drive to Lonavala from Pune is a combination of thrilling driving experience and beautiful nature along the Mumbai-Pune expressway. Another name of Khandala is” the twin hill station of Lonavala”. These two hill stations are not so apart from each other.
- Lonavala is at the distance of 66.7 km from Pune and Khandla is at the distance of 3.9 km from Lonavala.
- It takes 1 hr 6 mins to reach Lonavala from Pune and 8 min from Lonavala to Khandala.
- The places covered between Pune and Khandala are Pune – 43 km -> Kanhe – 4 km -> Khamshet – 18 km -> Lonavala -> Khandala.
Food Places on Pune – Lonavala – Khandala route–
- Hotel Gurukripa – The dim and dark interiors makes the ambiance of this place a little dingy. But the Punjabi food served here is truly worth savoring.
- Yoko Sizzlers – With an enjoyable ambiance and delicious food, this restaurant is the place to be. With a range of cuisines including Chinese, Indian and Continental, Yoko Sizzlers is a popular and great place to hang out with friends. The place is also easy on one’s pocket.
- Hotel Rama Krishna – This hotel is famous for its non-vegetarian delicacies. Also known for its finger licking kebabs. This is a great place to chill out and especially if you are a foodie.
Things to enjoy in Lonavala and Khandala —
- Della Adventure Park Ticket and Activities near Kunegaon in Lonavala.
Monsoon Trek to Rajmachi and Kondana Cave Waterfalls, Khandala.
Paragliding in Kamshet – The landscape is perfect for all adventure seekers. Especially for paragliding, trekking and hiking.
- Waterfall Rappelling and Trekking in Lonavala.
Shooting Point – Tourists frequently visit this place wishing to catch an aerial view of the Rajmachi Fort and the valley. It located in the town of Khandala.
Few points to take note of :
- Observe the speed limit in all the areas.
- Make sure to have frequent stops in your journey because will help to refresh the body.
- Keep a note of your fuel tank and never let your fuel tank go too low.
- Always carry a spare Tyre while you are travelling.
- Notice the accident warnings on the road.
- Look for the speed breakers on the route.
These are the hot picks among the people of Mumbai and you can do this journey on bike or car also if you are with your friends. These Road trips are one of those amazing journeys which every Indian from Pune must experience in his life. All you need to do is to “fix the dates and begin the journey” with WIWIGO!!!
If you plan to visit any of these places any soon, we introduce you to, Wiwigo, a cab rental company that overcomes all the disadvantages of traveling through the traditional methods for intercity traveling. You can plan immediate journeys. Dictate your own time of travel. Travel luxuriously with door to door pick-up and drop-off facility with no extra charges. You can also save a lot by keeping track of the offers and discounts and availing an INR 2000 cashback at every ride. Wiwigo lets you avail the facility of one way travel, where you pay for one-way if you are traveling one side. It has over 100 operational routes all over India. Wiwigo has an extremely user-friendly online portal, a lightweight cab booking app and 24 hours operational phone number, 08010 166 166 for booking the cab.
Related Posts :