Bollywood is one of the largest filming producers in India and one of the largest centres of filming production in the world. The Indian filming industry has its audience spread all across the globe. Somehow, in every movie, the location is just as important as the plot; it’s more of a character than simply a backdrop. Film makers spend a considerable portion of their budget shooting movies in distant countries and islands such as Maldives,Lakshadweep, etc. But there are some top destinations in India which make it a charismatic location for shooting films. Shooting in India is not only way more convenient than the foreign locations but is also quite budget-friendly.
India with its natural, architectural and cultural richness is a destination for everyone. Whether you are looking for lush green valleys or deserts, or you want to capture the exotic monuments or royal art and architecture India offers plenty of options for every desired location. So if you have been wondering as to where exactly are these super-attractive locations hidden, don’t be surprised to hear that this is your own country!
Some of the major Bollywood filming locations of all time are:
- Manali and Shimla: Two of the most popular hill stations located in Himachal Pradesh happen to be among the favorite movie locations for film lovers. The industry has shot a plethora of flicks set against the picturesque cities of Shimla and Manali.Remember the narrow roads covered with snow, the quaint valleys and the beautiful cottages shown in Jab We Met? All of that was shot in Manali and Shimla. The ‘Queen of Hills’, Shimla appears really mind-blowing, which makes one of the most preferred shooting spots.Black, Jab We Met, 3 idiots, etc are some of the bollywood filming was shot here.
- Leh/Ladakh: Located in the Indus river valley in Kashmir, Leh/Ladakh has served as a location to many big budget movies. While in 3 Idiots Aamir Khan was found teaching at Ladakh, the latest flick Fugly showed the youngsters taking a road trip to Leh.These places with their unique and diverse landscape is emerging as the new hot destination for filmmakers.Other movies filmed in these regions include Lakshya, Jab Tak Hai Jaan, Dil Se and Paap.
- Mumbai: More than thousands of movies are shot in Mumbai, home to the largest film industry of India, every year, starting from late 1880’s when the first bollywood movie was released. The beauty of the compelling Juhu beach has been captured in numerous films and it is has turned out to be the favorite shooting location for film directors.Movies like Munnabhai MBBS, Slumdog Millionaire, Dhoom, Talaash, Ek Deewana Tha, etc. have been shot here.
- Ooty: Situated deep within the Nilgiri Hills, the hill station Ooty in Tamil Nadu is desired by the movie makers of Bollywood as well as Kollywood. From Raj Kapoor to Subhash Ghai, every director has shot here and achieved success. The famous song ‘Chayya chayya’ from ‘Dil Se’ is an example of this mind-blowing location.Karz, released in the 80’s was the First Bollywood movie to introduce the scenic beauty of this romantic town. Deewana (1992), Jo Jeeta Wahi Sikandar (1992), Saajan (1991) and Dil (1990), all have been directed here. In 2009, we saw Ranbir Kapoor falling for Katrina Kaif in Ajab Prem Ki Ghazab Kahaani in Ooty.
- Darjeeling: Think about Darjeeling and you go into a state of dreaming about the toy train and the spectacular scenic beauty. From the lanes and by-lanes to the panoramic views of the hills and the Darjeeling Himalayan Railway, everything about this place proves to be the perfect backdrop of a plot. Dev Anand and Asha Parekh looked wonderful in Jab Pyar Kisi Se Hota Hai in 1961 which was shot here.In the recent past, we saw Shekhar (Saif) basking in the glory of love for his love Lolita (Vidya Balan) in the song Kasto mazza of Parineeta.The much acclaimed Barfi (2012), created create magic on-screen in the splendid locales of Darjeeling.
- Kashmir: Kashmir is the most beautiful location for adding romance to a film! Jab Tak Hai Jaan, Yeh Jawaani Hai Deewani, Highway, Rockstar have recently chanced upon the beauty of this state.Known as the Jewel in the Crown of Kashmir and Srinagar’s Jewel, Dal Lake is the most important landmark of Srinagar.Over 20 films have been shot in and around the famous water body including KashmirKi Kali, Jaanwar, Mission Kashmir, Dil Se, Rockstar and Jab Tak He Jaan.
- Udaipur: Guide (1965), Mera Saaya (1966) and Ye Jawani Hai Deewani touching the charts not just for their story and actors but also for yet another character, Udaipur.And it’s not just Bollywood that seems to have swept away by the charm of this majestic land, it’s the Hollywood. Octopussy happens to be the only Bond movie shot in India and they chose the royal Udaipur for this stupendous film. The grandeur of the royal palaces is too strong a presence in all these movies.
- Amritsar: The busy lanes of the city, the Golden Temple, the Jallianwala Bagh and the Khalsa College are favourite shooting spots for variousdirectors. The mustard fields have always been a point to romance. We were blown away when we saw Shahrukh Khan roaming Kajol in a sarson-ka-khet in DDLJ.This is yet another place where the top three Khans have shot, Aamir in Rang De Basanti, Salman in London Dreams and SRK in DDLJ, RNBDJ and Veer Zara. We even witnessed the charismatic Aishwarya Rai in Bride and Prejudice dancing in the old bazaars of Amritsar.
- Kerala: The magnificent beauty of Kerala has been screened in a lot of films which include Raavan, the song called Barso re Megha from Guru, the backwaters showcased in Dil Se, Bombay, Nishabd, Karthik calling Karthik, etc.If north has the snow-clad peaks, the south has spectacular waterfalls as nature’s bounty.
- Goa: Goa, the beach paradise which has attracted film makers from all over the world, is the second most captured location in India. Some of the movies promoting the celestial beauty of Goa are Pukaar, Saagar, Josh, Dil Chahta Hai, Josh, Guzaarish, Ek Villain, Golmaal 3, Finding Fanny and Singham.Dil Chahta hai features a vacation in Goa for the three central characters played by Aamir Khan, Saif Ali Khan and Akshaye Khanna. While Guzaarish had Hritik Roshan star as a quadriplegic former magician seeking euthanasia in this Sanjay Leela Bhansali drama.
If you plan to visit any of these places soon, we introduce you to , Wiwigo, a cab rental company that overcomes all the disadvantages of travelling through the traditional methods for intercity travelling. You can plan immediate journeys. Dictate your own time of travel. Travel luxuriously with door to door pick-up and drop off facility with no extra charges. You can also save a lot by keeping track of the offers and discountsand availing an INR 2000 cashback at every ride. Wiwigo lets you avail the facility of one way travel, where you pay for one-way if you are travelling one side. Wiwigo has over 100 operational routes all over India. Wiwigo has an extremely user friendly online portal, a lightweight cab booking appand an 24 hours operational phone number , 08010 166 166 for booking the cab.