” When everything feels like an uphill struggle, just think of the view from the top. “
Far away from the busy city life, going for trekking in the laps of nature will give you an exciting break from the hustle of life. Trekking is the most cherished activity for the adventure lovers to enjoy the beauty of nature. Trekking in India India started during prehistoric times and it gained popularity during 1970’s and 1980’s as a recreational or adventure sport. There are a number of religious sites and shrines across India which entails trekking for a couple of days like Jammu and Kashmir, Badrinath, Amarnath, Gangotri, Hemkund, Joshimath, Kedarnath, Vaishno Devi and Yamunotri etc.
Presenting Top 10 Himalayan treks in India
1. Roopkund Trek, Uttarakhand
- Roopkund lake is also known as the Mystery Lake or Skeletons Lake because when the ice melts from the Himalayan hills, the more than 500 bones float over the lake and gets accumulated around edges of the lake.
- It is the high altitude glacial lake located in the Chamoli district of Garhwal in Uttarakhand. This place is close to the famous hill stations like Nainital and Kathgodam.
- Roopkund is a beautiful and attractive tourist destination at the base of two Himalayan peaks and they are Trishul and Nandghungti. One can enjoy the beauty of nature to the fullest here.
- This place is best to beat the sun during summers as Roopkund remains covered with snow throughout the year. One can also enjoy the Nanda Rajjat Yatra here.
- Though any season is good to be chosen to attempt Roopkund trek but if you like snow and challenging hikes then May and June are perfect and if you want to see the mysterious skeletons then you can opt for September or October.
2. Chadar Trek, Ladakh
- The Chadar Trek is also known as the Zanskar Gorge and it is a winter trail over the frozen river in Ladakh in Jammu and Kashmir.
- This trek is known as Chadar trek because “Chadar” refers to the blanket as the Zanskar river transforms itself from a rapidly flowing river into a white blanket or sheet of ice during winter.
- Tourist can also experience the beautiful ice ranging from a bluish tinge to golden yellow on a moonlit night.
- The best part about the beauty of this place is the ice forms which breaks and changes color on the river every few hours.
- This trek is completely unique in terms of scenery, atmosphere, temperature and also ever-changing Chadar.
- This region has the altitude of around 12000 to 13000 feet and it covers an area of 7000 sq km. Between January to mid-February, this desolate valley has bitter winters with very little of direct sunlight.
3. Stok Kangri Trek, Leh
- Leh being the capital of Ladakh is the best option for trekking in India as it is situated at the height of around 6153 meters above sea level. It is one of the highest trekkable peaks in the world.
- It is the highest mountain in the Stok range of the Himalayas. Stok Kangri is very famous amongst trekkers and novice mountaineers due to its non-technical nature.
- From July to August, this peak is considered as non-technical. This trek requires the great amount of stamina both physically and mentally so if you are fit you will definitely love this trek.
- The biggest challenge of this place is the summit day when the temperature goes below zero degrees Celsius.
4. Indrahar Pass Trek, Himachal Pradesh
- Himachal Pradesh is famous for its natural beauty with spectacular snowy peaks and river valleys. Almost every adventurous activity suitable for mountains can be done here like trekking, rafting, paragliding skiing.
- Indrahar Pass is the most awe-inspiring treks in the Himalayan region. It is located at an altitude of 4,342 m above sea level.
- Indrahar Pass Trek is closer to the tourist town of Dharamshala. Many tourists visit this place during the trekking season of April to October.
- The trek starts from McLeodganj which is the seat of Dalai Lama and passes over the snowbound Dhauladhar range and ends at Chamba.
- Adventurous tour of Indrahar Pass trek will give you an opportunity to walk on the ancient trail of Gaddi Shepherds.
5. Kumara Parvata Trek, Karnataka
- Kumara Parvatha is also known as Pushpagiri. After Tadiandamol, Kumara Parvatha is the highest peak and one of the most popular treks in Karnataka.
- It is believed to be a tough trek and home to lush green vegetation. This trek comprises of Shesh Parvatha and Kumara Parvatha also at 5600 ft. It is also believed that Shesh Parvatha protects the temple of Kukke Subramanya at the base.
- October to January and June to September are the best months to trek in Kumara Parvata. One can also enjoy the scenic landscapes while moving with both moderate and difficult trails.
- One of the major attraction of Kumara Parvatha Trek is the dense forest cover trail. This dense forest is 7 km from the start.
6. Nilgiri Hills Trek, Tamil Nadu
- Nilgiri is the part of Western Ghats in Tamil Nadu and it shares its border with Kerala along with Karnataka. Ooty, Coonoor, and Kotagiri district are the most famous trekking destinations of Tamil Nadu.
- This long 6 days trek begins and ends in Ooty and covers Porthimund, Parson’s peak, Pykara Falls, Mudumalai National Park, Mukurthi National Park and Pandiar Hills.
- April to June and September to December are the ideal time to trek Nilgiri hills as it is neither too cold nor too hot.
- One can also experience the falling waterfalls, wonderful glades, espresso ranches, tranquil lakes and tea homes.
If you plan to visit these places any soon, we introduce you to, Wiwigo, a cab rental company that overcomes all the disadvantages of traveling through the traditional methods for intercity travel. You can plan immediate journeys. Dictate your own time of travel. Travel luxuriously with door to door pick-up and drop-off facility with no extra charges. You can also save a lot by keeping track of the offers and discounts and availing an INR 2000 cash back at every ride. Wiwigo lets you avail the facility of one way travel. Where you pay for one-way if you are traveling one side. It has over 100 operational routes all over India. Wiwigo has an extremely user-friendly online portal, a lightweight cab booking app and 24 hours customer care number, 011 4985 47 94 for booking the cab.